The Roman bridge (Chaves)
Also known as the Bridge of Trajan, it was built between the first and second centuries AD, stretching 150 metres over the River Tâmega. Over the years it was modified, with a number of structures changing its original appearance. Today it has twelve arches, with two columns on both sides commemorating its construction, referring to the emperor and the people from the region of Chaves who were involved in its construction. The inscription on the first column reads: “Under the reign of Emperor Caesar Nerva Trajan Augustus Germanicus Dacicus, most sovereign leader, with judicial power, consul for the fifth time, father of the homeland, the people of Aquae Flaviae paid for the erection of this stone bridge.” The inscription on the second reads: “Under the reign of Emperor Caesar Vespasian Augustus, most sovereign leader with judicial power for the tenth time, emperor for the twentieth time, father of the homeland, consul for the ninth time, and also reigning Titus Vespasian Caesar, son of Augustus, sovereign leader, with judicial power for the eighth time, emperor for the fourteenth time, consul for the seventh time (…) being the legate of Augustus the propraetor Gaius Calpetanus Rantius Quirinalis Valerius Festus, and being legate of Augustus in the Seventh Legion Decius Cornelius Mecianus, and procurator of the same Augustus, Lucius Arruntius Maximus, the Seventh Legion Gemina Felix and ten peoples, namely: the Aquiflavi, the Aobrigeni, the Bibali, the Coelerni, the Equesi, the Interamnici, the Limici, the Nebisoci, the Quarquerni and the Tamagani (..)”. Next to As Caldas (hot springs) there is another bridge dating from the mediaeval period, which was used to cross the small stream of Rivelas.
The bridge over the River Tâmega (Verín)
The road from the neighbourhood of San Lázaro leading towards the centre of Verín crosses over a bridge that was built in 1853, on the road that connects Villacastín, in the province of Segovia, with the city of Vigo. Legend tells that a Roman bridge from the time of Trajan once stood here, but today this is nothing more than a legend, as no remains of any such bridge have been found in the area. From documents, we know that a bridge once stood here which was ordered to be repaired by the Countess of Monterrei, Inés de Velasco y Tovar, and that around 1740 there was a modern humpback bridge with seven arches (other sources say six) measuring 252 feet long by 13 feet wide, built during the reign of Felipe II. In 1795, the bridge was reformed by the Duke of Alba, who was also Count of Monterrei. Once work was complete, the chronicles tell of a magnificent bridge, using a modern construction system. After Verín came under the control of the Counts, a toll was imposed for the bridge, control over which was auctioned to the highest bidder.