Museum of the Flaviense Region (Chaves)
This museum, which opened in 1929, has been in the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança since 1978, close to the Praça de Camões square and Chaves Town Hall. From 1997 onwards, it became essentially an archaeological museum, and the main museum for the Flaviense Region. Its contents date from between the third millennium BC and the period of Roman occupation, and is divided into two main sections: the Pre-Roman Period and the Roman Period. It also has a section dedicated to modern art, with a permanent exhibition of paintings by Nadir Afonso, a painter and architect born in Chaves.
Military Museum (Chaves)
Opened in 1978 to commemorate the celebration of nineteen centuries of the existence of the local council of Chaves, the museum is located in the mediaeval keep, offering an exhaustive display of the military history of Portugal, Chaves and its most relevant events and figures. It contains four rooms: on the first floor is the D. João I room, dedicated to the period of the Reconquest; the second floor is dedicated to the Peninsular Wars (1808-1815) in which Chaves played a leading role, as it was through this city that the Second French Invasion occurred (known as the War of Independence in Spain). The third floor is dedicated to Portugal’s contribution to the First World War (1914-1918), and finally the fourth floor is dedicated to the Colonial War (1961-1974), from where it is possible to access the top of the keep, from whose elevated pathway visitors can enjoy sweeping views over the city, the River Tâmega and the gardens that surround the mediaeval enclave.
Museum of Religious Art of the Flaviense Region (Chaves)
The museum of Religious Art of the Flaviense Region has stood in the historic centre of the city since 2008, in a building alongside the Mother Church. Inside it displays, conserves and exhibits fundamental aspects of the region’s religious heritage. It has a wide range of items on display, mainly consisting of religious imagery, and liturgical clothing and objects.
Chaves Museum Centre of the National Railway Museum (Chaves)
In an area that has been completely remodelled by Chaves City Council and basically used for cultural activities, the Chaves Museum Centre of the National Railway Museum was opened in 2008. This museum centre, managed jointly by Chaves local council and the National Railway Museum Foundation, occupies the former train sheds of the old railway station of Chaves, the end of the line known as the Linha do Corgo. From 1906 onwards, this line, which was complementary to the Linha do Douro, provided communication by rail with Vila Real and the rest of Portugal. The museum centre has an interesting collection of rolling stock, including a steam locomotive, two passenger carriages and goods wagons which were once in use on the Linha do Corgo.