Having moved beyond the infrastructure phase, cross-border territorial cooperation within the European Union has been evolving towards a new concept that gives primacy to the preponderance of the daily lives of artificially separated citizens.
The cooperation of proximity, through the Eurocities, extends today across all borders as a laboratory for the construction of Eurocitizenship, of a shared life among equals, being Chaves and Verín two territories with solid bonds of exchange and cooperation between their people.
The idea of creating institutional structures to strengthen relations between the two has a long history and has been cherished by both municipalities for some time.
However, it was the opportunity provided by the new Community programming for 2007-2013 and its interest in territorial cooperation that gave the definitive boost to an objective intended to contribute to growth and employment.
Chaves and Verín have two very important characteristics to become one of the first European experiences of this type. Firstly, the political will of the administrations (local, provincial, autonomous and national) to carry out the initiative. Secondly, its condition as a gateway to the interior axis of the Galicia-North Portugal Euroregion: an interior axis that requires support measures due to its character as a low density territory, to allow its convergence with the coastal axis.
The current consolidation process of the Eurocity Chaves-Verín has its origins in the movement of institutional and territorial cooperation initiated in 1991 with the legal constitution of the Working Community Galicia-Northern Portugal (CTG-NP) and, in 1992, of the Atlantic Axis of the Northwest Peninsula, which defines the institutional and operational contours of the so-called Euroregion Galicia-Northern Portugal.
In July 2007, with the entrance of the municipality of Verín in Eixo Atlántico, this ambitious project starts, which has been promoted from the beginning by Eixo Atlántico, the Government of Portugal, the Xunta de Galicia and the Diputación de Ourense. Thus, in September 2007 was organized the Institutional Working Group responsible for the political impulse and the follow-up of the initiative and where all the mentioned institutions are represented, including the municipalities of Chaves and Verín.
On December 18, 2007, the official presentation ceremony of the Eurocity Chaves-Verín and its Visibility Plan took place at Chaves.
Establishment of the EGTC
- 11 May 2010
- Start of work on the draft agreement and draft Statutes of the European Grouping of Territorial Cooperation Eurocity Chaves-Verín
- 15 June 2010
- Approval by the Verín Plenary of the participation of the Municipality of Verín in the Eurocity Chaves-Verín, EGTC
- 30 June 2010
- Approval in the Municipal Assembly of Chaves
- 20 July 2010
- Submission of Verín's application to the Ministry of Finance and Public Administration
- 12 August 2010
- Sending the application from Chaves to the Financial Institute for Regional Development (IFDR)
- 6 March 2013
- Publication in the Official Gazette, Series II, No. 46, of Order 3554/2013 of the Deputy Secretary of State of Economy and Regional Development authorizing the participation of Chaves in the Eurocity Chaves-Verín, AECT
- 13 March 2013
- Authorization by the Ministerio de Hacienda y Administraciones Públicas for Verín's participation in the Eurocity Chaves-Verín, EGTC
- 9 July 2013
- Signing ceremony of the agreement of the Eurocity Chaves-Verín, AECT by the mayor of Chaves and the mayor of Verín
- 17 July 2013
- Inscription in the Register of European Groupings of Territorial Cooperation of the Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación
- 26 July 2013
- Publication in the Boletín Oficial del Estado, n.º 178, of the Statutes and Convention of the Eurocity Chaves-Verín, EGTC
- 2 July 2013
- Publication of a notice of the creation of the Eurocity Chaves-Verín, EGTC, in the Official Journal of the European Union (2013/S 149-260012)
- 10 February 2014
- Inscription as 46th European Grouping of Territorial Cooperation in the Committee of the Regions' European Register